What is the American Ornithological Society? We’re a diverse, global network of empowered professionals, working together to advance the scientific study and conservation of birds. The world’s largest international ornithological society, AOS is more relevant today than ever, and we’re dedicated to supporting the scientists doing this critical work—for the sake of birds, humanity, and the planet.
The mission of the American Ornithological Society is to advance the scientific understanding of birds, to enrich ornithology as a profession, and to promote a rigorous scientific basis for the conservation of birds.
- Support ornithological science and research
- Increase access to ornithological science
- Promote avian conservation science
- Grow and diversify the AOS community
- Provide career development opportunities
AOS was formed in 2016 with the merger of the American Ornithologists’ Union (AOU), founded in 1883, and Cooper Ornithological Society (COS), founded in 1893. Learn more about our history.