What is the American Ornithological Society? We’re a diverse, global network of empowered professionals, working together to advance the scientific study and conservation of birds. The world’s largest international ornithological society, AOS is more relevant today than ever, and we’re dedicated to supporting the scientists doing this critical work—for the sake of birds, humanity, and the planet.
To advance the scientific understanding of birds and disseminate ornithological knowledge, enrich ornithology as a profession and mentor young professionals, and promote a rigorous scientific basis for the conservation of birds.
- Connect a vibrant community of ornithologists throughout the Americas
- Publish openly accessible ornithological research of the highest quality
- Achieve excellence in organizing and hosting annual conferences that meet the ever-changing needs of ornithology and ornithologists
- Recognize and promote significant accomplishments in ornithology
- Excel in professional development for members at all stages of their careers
- Sustain scientific impact through financial support for ornithological research
- Inform public policy on all issues pertaining to ornithology
AOS was formed in 2016 with the merger of the American Ornithologists’ Union (AOU), founded in 1883, and Cooper Ornithological Society (COS), founded in 1893. Learn more about our history.