Why join the American Ornithological Society (AOS)?
AOS membership connects you to an extensive network of thousands of dedicated scientists from academia, government, and nonprofit organizations, and with other individuals working across borders and disciplines. See information about our new Membership Welcome Packet to learn more!
Not a member yet?
Join the AOS or renew your membership by logging into our Member Portal.
- If you have previously created an account in the Member Portal, enter your username and password and then you will be taken directly to the membership form.
- If you have not previously created an account, click the Register Now! link on the sign-in page. After setting up your account, click the JOIN or RENEW MEMBERSHIP option under the Membership Info section of your profile.
- Paper versions of AOS Membership Renewal forms are also available for those who prefer them. Please download the appropriate form and follow the instructions for renewing your AOS membership. Please allow 3-4 weeks processing time for your account to be updated when renewing by mail. You may receive additional renewal reminders until your check has been processed.
AOS membership benefits include:
- Unlimited online access to Ornithology (formerly The Auk) and Ornithological Applications (formerly The Condor).
- No author page charges to publish in AOS journals as a corresponding author, plus a 25% discount on optional open access fees.
- Free access to Birds of the World, the most comprehensive and authoritative resource available on the biology of the world’s birds.
- 25% discount on Oxford University Press books.
- 30% discount with Princeton University Press.
- Eligibility for prestigious awards and research grants and access to a range of professional development opportunities.
- Discounted registration for our annual meeting.
AOS Membership Welcome Packet
The AOS offers varied resources and supports for AOS members. As a member of the AOS, you play a critical role in helping the Society promote connections and collaborations among ornithologists across the Americas and the world, fostering a more diverse population of ornithologists. Read through our AOS Membership Welcome Packet to learn more about the AOS, our governing structure, and the various opportunities to engage in our collective efforts to support the professional goals of our members and encourage, promote, and support the study of birds by building a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable ornithological community. We remain steadfast in our bird conservation efforts, aspiring to make our world a more bird-friendly place.
Membership categories and rates
All prices listed are $USD. Please note that prior to the opening of renewal season in the fall, all memberships (except for Life Memberships) expire on December 31 of the year they are purchased, regardless of the purchase date.
|For individuals who do not choose or qualify for another membership category. A second regular membership from the same household, or family membership, is an additional $32 per year.
|Available to (1) currently enrolled pre-college or undergraduate students in any country, at any level (you will be asked to provide your institution, academic advisor, education level, and year graduation is expected) and (2) recent graduates of undergraduate programs who are between degree-seeking programs and intend to re-enter a degree program in the future. (If you have not previously been a member, you may also qualify for an AOS-sponsored student membership!)
|Available to (1) postdocs and currently enrolled graduate students in any country, at any level (you will be asked to provide your institution, academic advisor, education level, and year terminal degree is expected) and (2) recent graduates of graduate-level programs who are between degree-seeking programs and intend to re-enter a degree program in the future. (If you have not previously been a member, you may also qualify for an AOS-sponsored student membership!)
|Available to individuals who have completed their terminal degree within the past five years.
|Available to individuals who are retired and/or have been an AOS member (including AOU or COS) for 40 years or more.
|Special Countries Membership
|Available to individuals who are residents of countries other than the United States, Canada, Israel, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and the following Western European countries: Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Spain, and Portugal.
|Payment may be made in a one-time payment or in four installments of $720. Life memberships require no annual renewal, and the fee contributes directly to the AOS’s Council-designated General Endowment Fund.
|Contributing members are recognized annually on our website. The contribution value of the membership is tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
|Gift memberships can be purchased for one or more individuals. Standard rates per appropriate member category will apply. Purchase a gift membership to the AOS.