AOS provides travel awards for students (undergraduate, masters, and doctoral) as well as postdocs to help defray expenses to attend our annual meeting. These awards are administered by the Student & Postdoc Travel and Presentation Awards Committee.
To be eligible for an award, a student must present an oral or poster presentation and must be the sole author or presenting author on co-authored presentations. Student applicants need not be members when they apply; however, awardees must be AOS members in order to receive their awards. Post-doc applicants must be a members of AOS when they apply and be generally ineligible for institutional student travel awards (e.g., graduated more than a semester prior to the meeting). Students between degree-seeking programs who intend to re-enter a degree program in the future may also apply for these awards.
Travel Awards In Support of Diversity & Inclusion
As part of our ongoing efforts to foster a diverse and inclusive community, AOS is proud offer additional travel awards supporting individuals from underrepresented groups and/or those who have made significant contributions towards fostering a diverse and inclusive community. Membership in AOS is not required to be eligible for these awards. Students and post-docs (as described above) that wish to be considered for these awards should select the appropriate option in the application process.
Applicants for travel awards under the auspices of diversity and inclusion may also apply for the general travel awards; however, to receive a regular travel award you mush be a student member of AOS as described above. Awardees will not be able to receive funding for both.
Individuals wishing to be considered for travel awards must indicate their interest when submitting their abstract for the meeting. The online abstract submission form includes a set of questions specific to those seeking a travel award. Answering these questions, in addition to completing the rest of the abstract submission form, will serve as the individual’s travel award application.
Required application materials include the following:
- Current academic standing (e.g. undergrad, MS, PhD, post-doc, between degrees).
- Supervisor’s name and email address.
- Anticipated graduation date.
- Travel budget information. Note: Budget requests can only include estimated costs associated with travel to and from the annual meeting. Eligible expenses are limited to airfare, shuttles/taxis/Uber, gas, etc. Other costs such as lodging and meeting registration cannot be included in the budget request.
- Location from which you will be traveling (state/province and country).
- Past travel and/or presentation awards you have received from AOS.
- A signed letter from your current advisor on university letterhead indicating you are a student in good academic standing, or (if you are between degree-seeking programs) a signed letter from your previous advisor, indicating that you intend to re-enter a degree program in the future.