AOS awards one year of gratis student membership to students from anywhere in the world interested in pursuing a career in ornithology. Student Membership Award winners receive the full benefits of AOS membership. These awards are administered by the Student Membership Awards Committee.
Successful applicants will be notified that they are receiving a Student Membership Award in time to register early for the annual meeting and to apply for Student Travel Awards, the Student Presentation Award competition, and Student Research Awards. See the AOS Calendar for a complete list of award deadlines.
- Applicants must not have previously been members of AOS (including either AOU or COS).
- Applicants must be (1) currently enrolled students at any level from any country, or (2) students between degree-seeking programs with intent to re-enter a degree program in the future.
Apply for Student Membership Awards
Nominations for Student Membership Awards are open through 31 December 2022.
Applications for Student Membership Awards must be submitted via our Member Portal.
- The page linked above will direct you to a login screen. If you have previously created an account in our Member Portal, enter your user name and password. After logging in, you will be redirected to the nomination page.
- If you have not previously created an account, click Register Now on the lower right to set up your profile.
Your application must include the following:
- A resume or curriculum vitae describing your current degree program, the expected date of completion, your academic or work experience, and your interests in ornithology.
- A short note from your academic advisor indicating support for the application on institutional letterhead from the institution in you are currently enrolled.
- If you are between degree-seeking programs with intent to re-enter a degree program in the future, you should indicate this in your application, and your faculty indication of support should come from your previous supervisor and include their confirmation that you intend to re-enter a degree program in the future.