James G. Cooper Early Professional Award
AOS’s James G. Cooper Early Professional Award recognizes early-career researchers for their outstanding contributions in any field of ornithology. It consists of a certificate, $500 honorarium, and a travel stipend of up to $1000 and gratis registration to attend the annual meeting. Awardees are also invited to give a plenary at the annual meeting. The award is named in honor of James G. Cooper, a pioneering naturalist and ornithologist in the western regions of North America.
Candidates may nominate themselves for the award, be nominated by another member(s) of AOS, or be added to the slate of candidates by the Early Professional Awards Committee, which selects the annual awardees. The successful nominee will excel in research and show distinct promise for leadership in ornithology within and beyond North America. In addition, they must:
- Be a current member of AOS.
- Be within/up to the end of their third year post terminal degree (Master’s or PhD) or in the final nine months of their graduate studies at the time of the annual meeting. (An extra year of eligibility is granted for parental leave.)
- Have not received the award previously.
Submit a Nomination
The next nomination cycle for the Cooper Award will open 12 October 2020.
Nominations must be submitted through our online Member Portal.
- Clicking “Apply Now” on the page linked above will direct you to a login screen. If you have previously created an account, your Login ID is your email address. After logging in, you will be redirected to the Senior Professional Award nomination page.
- If you have not previously created an account, click Create Account at the lower left to set up your profile.
- You can also navigate to the submission page from the Member Portal homepage under “Open Competitions” in the lower right.
To submit a nomination for the Cooper Award, you will need to upload 1) a mini-paper describing the candidate’s research, and 2) a current CV of the candidate (up to two pages).
Previous Winners of the Cooper Award
2019 Karan Odom and Kyle Horton
2018 Kristen Covino
2017 Nancy Chen and Riccardo Ton
2016 Daniel Baldassarre and Peter Hosner
2015 Jared Wolfe and Elizabeth Gow
2014 Conor Taff and Mary Caswell Stoddard
2013 Christina Riehl and Henry Streby
2012 Luciano Naka and Morgan Tingley
2011 Matthew Carling and Karl Berg
2010 Zachary Cheviron, with finalists Andrea Townsend and Daniel Barton
2009 Jamie Cornelius, with finalists Karie Decker and Eben Paxton