You are here
Books & Monographs
From Our Journals
ORNITHOLOGY BLOG PICK:
All About Birds
AOU Checklist of North and Middle American Birds (7th Edition and Supplements)
The "AOU Checklist" is the official source on the taxonomy of birds found in North and Middle America, including adjacent islands. This publication is produced by the North American Classification Committee (NACC), an official committee of the AOU.
The geographic area covered includes: North and Middle America from the North Pole to the boundary of Panama and Colombia, including the adjacent islands under the jurisdiction of the included nations; the Hawaiian Islands; Clipperton Island; Bermuda; The West Indies, including the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, Leeward and Windward Islands in the Lesser Antilles (ending with Grenada); and Swan, Providencia, and San Andrés Islands in the Gulf of Mexico. Greenland is not included in the coverage of the Seventh Edition of the Check-list, although it was included in earlier editions and will be in the next edition.
The 829-page hardbound volume, published in 1998, may be purchased from Buteo Books or downloaded in PDF format (PDF files listed below: file size up to 13 MB):
- Tinamiformes - Falconiformes
- Galliformes - Charadriiformes
- Pteroclididae - Apodiformes
- Trogoniformes - Passeriformes
- Passeriformes: Incertae Sedis - Mimidae
- Sturnidae - Estrildidae
- Appendix, French names, Supplement listing, Literature Cited and Index
Note that the documents above do not as yet incorporate changes made in the Supplements to the Check-list. Annotations to the book PDFs are planned for the future, but for now, users of the book must check the supplements or the online Checklist to determine whether changes have been made.
- 56th Supplement: Auk 2015, vol. 132:748-764
- 55th Supplement: Auk 2014, vol. 131:CSi-CSxv
- 54th supplement: Auk 2013, vol. 130:558-571
- 53rd Supplement: Auk 2012, vol. 129:573-588
- 52nd Supplement: Auk 2011, vol. 128:600-613
- 51st Supplement: Auk 2010, vol. 127:726-744
- 50th Supplement: Auk 2009, vol. 126:705-714
- 49th Supplement: Auk 2008, vol. 125:758-768
- 48th Supplement: Auk 2007, vol. 124:1109-1115
- 47th Supplement: Auk 2006, vol. 123:926-936
- 46th Supplement: Auk 2005, vol. 122:1026-1031
- 45th Supplement: Auk 2004, vol. 121:985-995
- 44th Supplement: Auk 2003, vol. 120:923-931
- 43rd Supplement: Auk 2002, vol. 119:897-906
- 42nd Supplement: Auk 2000, vol. 117:847-858
The last edition of the AOU Check-list to include subspecies was published in 1957 (5th edition). Although a complete revision of North American avian subspecies has not been done, we refer readers to Avibase and the Birds of North America Online for more up-to-date treatments of subspecies. The Birds of North America project is systematically revising subspecies account for North American birds (see list of accounts revised to date (PDF).